RICHMOND COUNTY was formed from Old Rappahannock County in 1692. It was named for either the borough of Richmond in Surrey, England, or for Charles Lennox, the 1st
Duke of Richmond and Lennox, an illegitimate son of King Charles II. Its county seat is in Warsaw. For further information on the history and homes of Richmond County and the
Northern Neck visit the NORTHERN NECK OF VIRGINIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Indian Banks, 1728, Photo 2009
Located at Simonson, the five-bay, L-shaped Georgian style mansion has a tall hipped roof and large windows. Built of red bricks laid in Flemish Bond, its walls are 26" thick at
ground level and 18" thick at higher levels. An unusual feature is a projected belt course of four bricks in width around the entire house at the center of the outside walls. Over the
river front door, bricks are molded or carved into a wavy pattern. Entry is through double paneled doors with a four-light transom above. Although much of the original interior
woodwork has disappeared, the house retains a closed-string stair with turned balusters, a second-floor fireplace surround, several doors and window frames with paneled
window seats. A one-story colonial-style wing was added in 1975.
THOMAS GLASCOCK (1661-62, Richmond Co. - 1725-26, Fauquier Co.), lived on Farnham Creek about three miles north of Indian Banks. He was the grandson of Thomas and
Jane Just Glascock, the son of Gregory Glascock (1634-44, England - 1690, VA) and the first cousin of Col. George Glascock of Indian Banks. Thomas married Sarah Stone in 1689
and had children Gregory, John, Elizabeth, Thomas Jr., Sarah Stone and Peter Glascock. On 11/5/1723, for reasons unknown, Thomas stabbed to death one William Forrester. After
the murder Glascock and his son Gregory, then 23, left in a small boat, but Gregory was put ashore about five miles below Morattico Creek and from there traveled as far as Norfolk
before returning home. Upon his return he was named as an accessory to the murder; however, his testimony and that of his brothers resulted in his release. Thomas Glascock was
never heard from again. Sarah Glascock remained with her children on Farnham Creek, but after her husband's indictment his property was confiscated and Robert "King" Carter
took possession of his estate. Carter's 1726 will stated, "if my son John (Carter) comes to enjoy the said Glascock's lands under a good title that he then further consider the said
Glascock's children in such proportion as he shall think fitt, or otherwise gratify them according to his discretion." Since both John and Peter Glascock settled on land owned by
John Carter in Prince William County, it appears that Carter's son honored his father's request.
NEWS FROM THE ATTIC ~ A TALE OF MURDER
The Simonson House, AbT. 1880 (http://www.simonsonva.com/)
The Simonson House was built about 1880 on a portion of the Indian Banks tract originally owned by Thomas
Glascock. The property was later acquired by Thomas Dobyns who gave part of it to his freed slaves following
the Civil War. The house, with waterfront views from every room, was renovated in 1996 and is currently 
operated as a bed and breakfast.
The builder, Isaac Simonson, purchased the property in 1878 for $725.00 as a settlement to the Pitts family.
Simonson came from Staten Island, New York, and began planting, harvesting and buying oysters from beds on
Lancaster and Morratico Creeks to ship back to his home state. On 1/5/1894 Isaac deeded the property to his
son, John H. Simonson, and his wife Mary. John was appointed as Simonson's first postmaster on 11/19/1892
and he and Mary operated a General Store, marine railway and buy dock until Mary's death on 7/7/1907. They
had two children, Emily A. Booker and Isaac N. Simonson (?? - 1/20/1960), who succeeded his father as
postmaster on 6/3/1913. On 12/5/1916 he became the sole owner of the property by deed dated 12/5/1916. Isaac's
son, William Newton Simonson, became postmaster in 1929 and he and his wife Virginia ran the store and Post
Office until it was closed in 1964. Their son, Thomas Newton Simonson, built the marina at the southernmost
portion of the property but died as a young man in 1967. The area is named for this family.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: NORTHUMBERLAND & RICHMOND COUNTIES
Bulletin of the Northumberland County Historical Society, Vol. VIII, 1971
Harding, John H., Jr.; A Reluctant Rebel, Lottsburg, VA, 2005
Waring, Lucy L.; Hardings of Northumberland County and Their Related Families, Wicomico Church, VA. Privately Printed, 1971
Jett, Carolyn H., Heathsville, Yesterday & Today; Woman's Club of Northumberland County, Heathsville, 1980
Loth, Calder, Virginia Landmarks Register, Virginia Department of Historic Resources
Mandell, Gayle N., Interviews: The Academy, William D. Bartron; The Anchorage, Robert L. Byrne; Chicacoan Cottage, Rocco V. Tricarico; Clifton, Gayle L. Hudnall; Harding
family properties & Gascony, John H. Harding, Jr.; Oakley, Mrs. James R. Hundley; Sunnyside, William & Jane Henson; Springfield, Mrs. L. W. Fleming; Wheatland, Dwight and
Reedville Fisherman's Museum, rfmuseum.org
Snow, Helen Foster; The Dameron-Damron Genealogy
Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Selected Records, www.dhr.virginia.gov
Vlach, John Michael, Back of the big house; googlebooks.com
INDIAN BANKS was originally built in 1699 on the site of a Moraughtacund Indian village visited by Captain
John Smith in 1608, but the name, Indian Banks, was not recorded until 1822 when the property was sold by
Aldea Glascock to Thomas Dobyns. On 7/28/1652 Thomas Glascock (1640 - 1701) of Essex, England, was granted
600 acres of land on the north side of Morattico Creek for the transport of his wife, Jane Just Glascock, and two
others. Thomas, who immigrated to Virginia 1643, had two known sons, Thomas Glascock II and Col. George
Glascock (1675 - 1715), who built the original house. Captain William Glascock (1704 - 2/5/1784), son of Thomas
II, built the present house in 1728 and lived there with his wife, Esther Ball Glascock. By 1730 he had established
public warehouses at the landing at Indian Banks. Other members of the family who owned the tract included
Richard Glascock who left the property to his son, Milton Syms Glascock, after the death of Milton's mother,
Elizabeth, around 1800. Milton Glascock bequeathed it to his son, Aldea Amazon Glascock, who sold it to
Thomas Dobyns in 1822 with 342 acres for $7,500. The house is still privately owned.
OTHER HISTORIC HOMES IN RICHMOND COUNTY include Sabine Hall, Mount Airy, Milden Hall, Woodford, and Menokin.
(c) 2010 - Website & Photos by Gayle N. Mandell. Use of content or photos is prohibited without written permission.